The Arts Inc. (formerly Young Musicians, Inc.) started in 1995 with no budget and a few enthusiastic music teachers wanting to bring professional artists into the community to create special educational opportunities for their music students. Momentum grew as more community arts enthusiasts joined in the effort. With the name Young Musicians, Inc at that time, the organization incorporated in 1998 and became an official 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. Over the years, The Arts Inc. has presented a variety of different events – educational, entertaining, and always inspirational.
The Arts Inc. presents five major programs each year, all held at various venues-
1) The Concert Series runs January through May and consists of 7-10 professional ensembles that perform in concerts for the community. While The Arts Inc. is in place to organize and run the Concert Series, the organization also works in partnership with other local organizations that would like to present concerts under the umbrella of the Concert Series. Most concerts in Evanston are held at Davis Middle School however some organizations request to have concerts at other locations.
2) The educational component of the Concert Series is called Specialists in the Schools Project where Concert Series artists present educational outreach in schools and through area organizations.
3) In March, Ceili (pronounced kay-lee) at the Roundhouse Celtic Festival (held at the Roundhouse & Railyards Complex) provides entertainment and education about Celtic music and cultures to festival goers. Presented in partnership with the City of Evanston, this event brings tourism to Evanston, and it is hoped that some day this event will provide enough income to help The Arts Inc. with year-round operating expenses.
4) In April the Young Musician’s Festival, held at Davis Middle School – a solo and ensemble festival where students compete for awards and attend educational music workshops with visiting artists. An Honors Concert is held to showcase outstanding students.
5) The Music, Arts, & Theatre Camp (MAT Camp) is held in July at Evanston High School and offers over 100 classes per day in world music, instrumental ensembles/technique, voice, theatre, dance, piano, technology, art, and more, taught by a visiting staff of more than thirty members. The week culminates with a professional concert and student playing sessions.
The Arts Inc. is not an entity of any government organization, but completely organized and run by the local community. The Arts Inc. serves Uinta County, a population of about 20,000 people, as well as the entire Southwestern region of Wyoming. Approximately 8,000 people attend The Arts Inc. events per year, with about half being children and youth. Since The Arts Inc. does not have its own venue, most events are held at local schools, in downtown buildings, or buildings owned by the City of Evanston.